Thursday, April 14, 2011

Some Recent Mistakes

I've been trying lots of new recipes recently, and though I've unfortunately allowed too much time to remember the exact process I used for them, I wanted to record some missteps so that I can avoid them in the future.

Beer Braised Pork Chops with Sauerkraut

A good recipe that involved browning the pork chop on both sides, then putting it in a dutch oven with sauerkraut, onions, and beer, and letting it simmer for about an hour. Unfortunately I didn't have a dutch oven, so I used a casserole dish. Everything smelled and looked great, but when the hour was up, I moved the dish to an unused burner. A couple of moments later...

BANG!

The casserole dish, going from a hot to cold surface so quickly and being made of glass, exploded. Luckily the pork chops were in tact and were a fair dinner, but I'll be sure to obtain a dutch oven before I try this one again.

Homemade Ravioli

The blog that inspired me to launch my own, Post-College Kitchen, had a nifty looking recipe that used Egg Roll Wrappers to create ravioli. I couldn't find sweet potatoes at the store the night I tried this, so we used a more basic tomato, pepperoni, and cheese filling.

While the taste was pretty good, I think they ended up undercooked as they were incredibly doughy. The sheer size of the egg roll wrappers contributed to this as well. Some of them also burst open while cooking, making them look far less impressive on the plate.

The original recipe can be found here. I'd like to revisit this one some day, but I would need to think about how to fix the flaws with it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment